How to conduct a phishing campaing using GoPhish
What is Phishing?
Phishing is a type of cyber attack where attackers trick individuals into divulging sensitive information or performing actions that compromise security.
Attackers use various methods, such as email, to impersonate legitimate entities and deceive victims.
How Phishing is Done
Phishing methods include email phishing, spear phishing, vishing, and SMS phishing.
Attackers often employ psychological tactics to manipulate victims into taking action.
Planning and Preparation
Before launching a phishing simulation, it's crucial to plan and prepare:
- Define the objectives of the simulation.
- Identify the scope and target audience.
- Obtain necessary approvals and support.
Selecting Phishing Scenarios
Choose realistic phishing scenarios relevant to your organization. These could include:
- Fake HR announcements
- Password reset requests
Setting Up the Simulation Platform (Using GoPhish)
GoPhish is a popular tool for conducting phishing simulations. Here's how to set it up:
- Download and install GoPhish.
- Configure email templates and landing pages.
- Set up tracking and reporting options.
Starting the Phishing Campaign
Once GoPhish is set up, it's time to initiate the campaign:
- Create a compelling phishing email.
- Select the target recipients.
- Set the delivery schedule and parameters.
- Slide 7: Methods Attackers Use to Steal Credentials -->
Methods Attackers Use to Steal Credentials
Phishers employ various techniques to steal credentials:
- Deceptive websites that mimic legitimate login pages.
- Social engineering tactics, such as urgent messages or threats.
- Malware-infected attachments or links.
- Impersonation of trusted entities, like banks or colleagues.
Understanding these methods helps in creating realistic simulations and training users to recognize phishing attempts.
GoPhish is a powerful open-source phishing framework designed for security professionals, organizations, and cybersecurity enthusiasts. It empowers users to conduct controlled and ethical phishing simulations to assess and enhance their security posture. With its intuitive interface and a range of features, GoPhish simplifies the process of testing and improving an organization's defenses against phishing attacks.
Step 1: Update System
Before installing GoPhish, it's essential to update your system's package list and upgrade existing packages:
$sudo apt-get update
$sudo apt-get upgrade
Step 2: Install Dependencies
GoPhish requires certain dependencies. Install them using the following commands:
$sudo apt-get install -y git golang-go
Step 3: Clone GoPhish Repository
Clone the GoPhish GitHub repository to your local machine:
$git clone https://github.com/gophish/gophish
Change to the GoPhish directory:
Step 4: Build and Run GoPhish
Build GoPhish using the following command:
GoPhish will be available at http://localhost:3333. Access the admin interface in your web browser.